Decadent, scrumptious, and piled excessive with coconut whipped cream! This vegan strawberry shortcake is the right dessert for summer time celebrations. It is scrumptious, simple to make, and at all times a success!
Strawberry shortcake is at all times a success. However what about vegan strawberry shortcake? Is it attainable to duplicate the traditional summer time dessert made with candy, buttery biscuits and fluffy whipped cream?
Strawberry shortcake is not all that onerous to veganize. I’ve made this recipe for quite a few celebrations, served it to vegans in addition to non-vegans, and it at all times will get rave critiques. The truth is, I’ve had people inform me they like the coconut whipped cream to conventional whip. (It is some really decadent stuff!)
So hearth up your oven and prepare. You are going to need to get pleasure from this one all summer time lengthy.
Substances You may Want
- Non-dairy milk. Soy milk, almond milk, cashew milk, and oat milk are all good choices. Principally, be at liberty to make use of absolutely anything apart from canned coconut milk, so long as it is unsweetened.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Flour. We’re utilizing plain previous all-purpose flour. So far as substitutions, you would in all probability get away with spelt of complete wheat pastry flour. An all-purpose gluten-free flour mix ought to work if it is advisable hold the recipe gluten-free, however I have not examined this, so no guarantees.
- Sugar. Ensure that to make use of natural sugar to maintain the recipe vegan. Typical sugar could also be bleached utilizing animal bone char.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
- Vegan butter. That is accessible in most supermarkets close to the common butter. Miyoko’s and Earth Steadiness are a few standard manufacturers to search for.
- Contemporary strawberries.
- Coconut cream. Coconut cream might be bought in cans at most supermarkets, often within the worldwide meals aisle.
- Maple syrup. We’re utilizing this to sweeten our whipped coconut cream. You may substitute with one other liquid sweetener corresponding to agave if you would like.
- Vanilla extract.
Tip: If you cannot discover coconut cream, it may be extracted from full fats coconut milk. Chill the cans in a single day then drain off the liquid. The stable half that continues to be is coconut cream.
How It is Made
The next is an in depth photograph tutorial on make this dish. Scroll all the best way down if you would like to skip proper to the recipe!
Begin by making the biscuits. They will take a while to bake, and you may put together the fillings within the meantime.
Stir the milk and apple cider vinegar collectively in a small container. That is your vegan buttermilk. Ensure that the milk is chilly. Stick your vegan buttermilk into the fridge to maintain it chilly when you combine the dry elements.
Whisk your dry elements collectively in a big mixing bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Tip: Your non-dairy milk may curdle a bit if you add the vinegar, significantly should you’re utilizing a high-protein selection like soy milk. That is regular and nothing to fret about.
Add sliced up vegan butter to the dry elements. Ensure that the butter is chilly, proper from the fridge. Use a pastry cutter or fork to chop the butter into the dry elements, till the combination appears like coarse crumbs.
Pour the vegan buttermilk into the dry elements, and gently stir every thing as much as create a shaggy dough. Cease stirring as soon as it is blended. Overworking the dough gives you powerful biscuits.
Flip the dough out onto a calmly floured floor and gently press it out into a big rectangle of about 9 by 12 inches. Dip a spherical biscuit cutter into flour then use it to chop circles within the dough. Do not twist the cutter.
Organize the dough rounds in a forged iron skillet or on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, ensuring they’re simply touching one another (however not jammed collectively). Brush the tops with non dairy milk and pop them into the oven to bake.
Put together the fillings whereas the biscuits bake.
First, clear and slice the strawberries. Add some sugar, stir them up and allow them to sit for some time to launch their juices. You may optionally mash a few of the berries with a fork if you would like.
To make the coconut whipped topping, merely place chilled coconut cream in a big mixing bowl (discard any watery liquid within the can). Beat the combination till it is fluffy, then beat in a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten the combination.
Assemble the shortcakes as soon as your biscuits are cool. Slice every biscuit in half, then stuff it with some strawberries and whipped coconut cream. Pile some extra strawberries and whipped coconut cream on high.
- Roasted strawberry shortcake. Use roasted strawberries as a substitute of recent ones. They’re additional candy and gooey!
- Swap up the berries. Make vegan blueberry shortcake or raspberry shortcake as a substitute!
- Use store-bought whipped cream. When you’re in a rush or cannot discover whipped coconut cream, attempt a industrial vegan whipped cream as a substitute. Reddi-wip has a few vegan varieties and all Whipt merchandise are all vegan.
- Flavored berries. Add some additional taste to your strawberries through the use of maple syrup as a substitute of sugar, or including some vanilla extract, black pepper (sure, this completely works), or powdered ginger for some zip.
Leftovers & Storage
Retailer the parts of this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe individually.
The biscuits will hold in an hermetic container at room temperature for about 3 days or within the freezer for about 3 months. The strawberries will final about 3 days in an hermetic container within the fridge, and the coconut whip will hold for about 5 days.
Extra Vegan Strawberry Recipes
Like this recipe? If that’s the case, please cease again and depart me a evaluate and score beneath should you attempt it! Additionally remember to comply with me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for extra recipes like this one!
The Finest Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Decadent, scrumptious, and piled excessive with coconut whipped cream! This vegan strawberry shortcake is the right dessert for summer time celebrations. It is easy to make, and at all times a success!
For the Shortcakes
unflavored soy or almond milk,
chilled, plus a bit extra for brushing
apple cider vinegar
natural granulated sugar
For the Strawberries
hulled, cleaned and sliced
natural granulated sugar,
plus extra to style
For the Whipped Coconut Cream
(14 ounce) cans
(Be aware 1) refrigerated not less than 12 hours (ideally 24-48 hours – Be aware 2)
or to style
Make the Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 400º. Both line a big baking sheet with parchment paper, or collect a big forged iron skillet (or a few smaller ones).
Stir the milk and vinegar collectively in a small container, corresponding to a liquid measuring cup. Place the container within the fridge to maintain the combination cool when you put together the dry elements.
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt collectively in a big mixing bowl.
Minimize the butter into eight to 10 slices and add them to the bowl. Use a pastry cutter, fork, or a few butter knives to chop the butter into the dry elements. Proceed till the combination resembles coarse crumbs.
Take away the milk combination from the fridge and pour it into the bowl with the dry elements. Stir every thing collectively simply till the dough is mixed. Do not overwork the dough. It should seem uneven and shaggy, which is ok.
Flip the dough out onto a calmly floured floor. Use an roughly 3-inch spherical biscuit cutter (Be aware 3) to chop circles within the dough. Dip the leading edge in flour earlier than making every reduce, and keep away from twisting it when chopping the dough circles.
Gently re-roll any leftover dough and proceed making circles till all of the dough is used.
Place every dough spherical into the skillet(s) or on the baking sheet, arranging them in order that the sides are simply touching.
Frivolously brush the tops of the biscuits with non-dairy milk.
Bake the biscuits for 15 to 18 minutes, till they’re fluffy and golden brown.
Place the skillet or baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the biscuits cool for about 10 minutes. Take away them from the skillet or baking sheet and place them instantly on the racks to complete cooling.
Put together the Strawberries
Whereas the biscuits bake or cool, place the strawberries and sugar into a big mixing bowl. Stir them nicely and optionally use a fork to mash a couple of of the berries.
Enable the berries to sit down for about 20 minutes.
Make the Whipped Coconut Cream
Open the cans of coconut cream. The cream ought to seem semisolid and opaque.
Switch the coconut cream to a big mixing bowl, discarding any watery liquid within the cans.
Beat the cream on excessive pace with an electrical mixer till gentle and fluffy, scraping down the edges of bowl as wanted, about 1 minute.
Beat within the maple syrup and vanilla.
Slice every biscuit in half. Spoon some coconut whipped cream and berries over the underside portion. Place the highest portion of the biscuit over the fillings, the spoon further berries and whipped coconut cream on high.
- If you cannot discover canned coconut cream, purchase three cans of full-fat coconut milk as a substitute. Chill them for not less than 24 hours, then discard the liquid that separates out. The remining solids are coconut cream.
- Some manufacturers of coconut cream and coconut milk work higher than others. I’ve had luck with Thai Kitchen and Wegman’s manufacturers. I have been warned by others to avoid Dealer Joe’s model. A great way to check a can on the retailer is by shaking it. When you really feel a variety of liquid sloshing round inside, it is in all probability finest to attempt one other one.
- You should use a cutter as small as 2 ½ inches, which gives you extra shortcakes. If you do not have a biscuit cutter you need to use a pointy knife to chop squares or hint round a spherical template corresponding to a ingesting glass.
The Finest Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Quantity Per Serving (1 shortcake (1/12 of recipe))
Energy from Fats 240
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 15.4g77%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.