These crispy vegan latkes, Jewish potato pancakes, are gorgeously easy however stuffed with taste. And they’re prepared in minutes!
I’m at all times making an attempt my hand at making vegan latkes or potato pancakes with totally different ingredient mixtures, and a few of my favorites on the weblog are these vegan apple potato pancakes and these vegan sauerkraut potato pancakes. At present, nevertheless, I’m going again to the fundamentals with a easy however basic vegan potato latke recipe.
It has all of the yumminess of a conventional potato latke, minus the eggs. And you will not be capable of cease consuming them!
That is an totally easy recipe with simply 5 substances. You may taste it up with different additions (extra on that later) or eat the pancakes plain. They’re nice both approach.
Desk of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These vegan potato latkes are full of genuine, scrumptious taste. They’re eggless, however that does not imply you lose out on any of the good taste or texture of a basic latke.
- They’re fast and straightforward to make. You want minutes to place the latke batter collectively and some extra minutes to fry them up.
- You do not want fancy egg replacers. We’ll harness the pure moisture and starch within the potatoes and easy pantry substances like rice flour and breadcrumbs to assist maintain these straightforward vegan latkes collectively.
- They’re everybody pleasant. The panko breadcrumbs within the recipe may be changed with gluten-free crumbs for a gf weight loss plan. The recipe is vegan, soy-free and nut-free, and everyone seems to be assured to find it irresistible.
You want a starchy potato for latkes, like russet potato or piper maris potato. It’s because the starch will assist create crispy latkes, precisely as you need them to be. Attempt to not use much less starchy potatoes, like purple or yellow potatoes.
Most cooks peel potatoes earlier than making latkes, however I do not at all times try this, and the latkes do not endure for it. Not peeling the potatoes additionally retains vital vitamins within the potato. Nonetheless, potatoes are within the Environmental Working Group’s “soiled dozen” greens as a result of they’ll take in excessive ranges of pesticides. The rule of thumb I comply with is to peel the potatoes if they aren’t natural and depart the pores and skin on if they’re.
Rice flour and breadcrumbs together with the pure moisture within the potatoes will assist bind these straightforward vegan potato pancakes. You do not want eggs for the job!
To bake the latkes preheat the oven to 425 levels Fahrenheit/220 levels Celsius. Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray and place the latkes on it, two inches aside. Bake for 20-25 minutes, then flip and proceed to bake till each side are crispy.
- Russet potatoes. You want a starchy potato for latkes, so make sure to use a russet or some other starchy potato. You may depart the pores and skin on in case you’re utilizing natural potatoes.
- Rice flour. Rice flour helps add some extra starch to the recipe to assist bind the potatoes within the absence of eggs. You should use all function flour or any gluten-free flour. I would not advocate chickpea flour as a result of it’s going to change the flavour of the latkes, however in case you do not thoughts it, it’s going to work properly as a binder.
- Panko breadcrumbs. These will add an additional little bit of crispness to the latkes. You should use common breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Herbs. I used contemporary chives and sage. You may add any herbs of your alternative. Rosemary is nice with potatoes, as is cilantro. If you do not have contemporary herbs, you need to use dried.
- Garlic powder. You may as well use contemporary garlic. Grate or crush right into a paste earlier than utilizing.
- Salt and floor black pepper
- Oil for frying. I take advantage of avocado oil, which might face up to excessive temperatures. You should use any impartial oil with a excessive smoke level.
Decide one in all these so as to add much more scrumptious well being and taste to the vegan latkes:
- 4 finely chopped scallions for contemporary, oniony taste.
- Half a finely chopped onion.
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- 1 grated apple
- Latkes are normally served with applesauce and the candy and savory mixture is kind of improbable. You may as well serve the latkes with vegan bitter cream or with a sizzling sauce.
- High the vegan latkes with contemporary herbs like chives or with scallions for an additional pop of contemporary taste.
- Refrigerate: Latkes are finest eaten contemporary. However in case you have leftovers, refrigerate in an hermetic container for as much as three days. You may as well refrigerate the batter for 2 days.
- Freeze: Freeze the latkes in an hermetic container or freezer-safe container for as much as 4 months. Thaw and reheat.
- Reheat: Heat the latkes on a non-stick griddle or cast-iron griddle sprayed with oil or cooking spray, or in an oven preheated to 400 levels Fahrenheit.
Extra vegan fritter recipes
Did you make this recipe? Depart a evaluate and a star ranking beneath or tag us on Instagram! Thanks!
These crispy vegan latkes, Jewish potato pancakes, are gorgeously easy however stuffed with taste. And they’re prepared in minutes! Serve these with applesauce or vegan bitter cream for breakfast or a snack.
Servings: 14 latkes
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Place the grated potatoes in a dishtowel and wring out as a lot liquid as you may. Accumulate the liquid in a bowl.
Let the potato liquid stand in a bowl for 5 minutes. Then drain out the water that has collected on high, leaving a layer of starch beneath. That is wonderful for the latkes and can assist them crisp up, so do not discard it.
Add the potatoes to the bowl with the starch in it. Add remaining ingredients–herbs, breadcrumbs, rice flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Combine properly and put aside for 5 minutes. The salt will assist specific some extra liquid from the potatoes, which in flip will assist bind the pancakes. After the batter has rested for 5 minutes, combine once more. The potatoes ought to really feel moist. Kind a two-inch ball of the potato combination and pat right into a pancake in your fingers to ensure it holds collectively.
Warmth a griddle over medium-high warmth and coat the underside generously with oil. Place the latkes on the griddle and fry till the underside is golden-brown and crispy.
Flip fastidiously and proceed to cook dinner till the opposite facet is golden-brown. Serve instantly.
Serving: 1latke | Energy: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fats: 4g | Saturated Fats: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 284mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 49IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg