Learn to make quiche! This straightforward spinach quiche recipe has a fragile egg filling and a flaky, buttery crust. It is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch!
I’m making this spinach quiche recipe for Easter brunch this yr, and I’m already trying ahead to it. It’s a change from my standard breakfast casserole or frittata, and although it’s (a lot) extra time-intensive, each second is price it. This spinach quiche is melt-in-your mouth scrumptious. It has a buttery, flaky crust and a custardy egg filling that’s flecked with tender spinach, inexperienced onions, and salty feta cheese.
In case you’re tempted to strive it, yow will discover my step-by-step information to methods to make quiche under, full with all my finest ideas for quiche success. I do know that pastry might be intimidating, however I hope you received’t let this quiche recipe scare you. It’s straightforward to grasp, and it’s a beautiful addition to any breakfast or brunch. I feel you’re going to like it!
Quiche is a savory egg custard tart or pie. It differs from a frittata in that it a) has a crust and b) has a better proportion of milk or cream to egg within the filling. (For reference, I take advantage of 6 eggs and 1/4 cup milk in my frittata recipe and the identical variety of eggs and 1/2 cup milk in my quiche filling. Many quiche recipes use much more milk or heavy cream!)
Quiche’s most well-known iteration, the bacon, cheese, and onion quiche Lorraine, originated within the Lorraine area of Northeast France, the place it possible descended from the kuchen of close by Germany. Quiche had a little bit of a heyday within the US within the Seventies and 80s, and it nonetheless stays well-liked as we speak. Like a frittata, it really works superbly with a wide range of greens and cheeses within the egg filling. I’ve loved quiche flecked with potatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, cheddar, Swiss cheese, and extra. However this straightforward spinach quiche is my favourite I’ve tried thus far.
Spinach Quiche Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this spinach quiche recipe:
- Spinach, in fact! I take advantage of contemporary child spinach right here as a result of I like the feel of the entire leaves. Thawed frozen chopped spinach works too.
- Eggs and unsweetened almond milk – They create the custard filling. Sub entire milk for the almond milk when you choose.
- Feta cheese or goat cheese – It provides tangy, salty taste to the filling.
- Scallions – For a contemporary, oniony kick.
- Salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
- And my Simple Pie Crust – It’s flaky, buttery, and tremendous easy to make. This recipe yields sufficient dough for 2 quiches. Make each side-by-side, or freeze the additional dough for as much as 3 months. To simplify this recipe, you may use store-bought pie dough, however you’ll nonetheless have to blind bake it. Extra on that under!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
The way to Make Quiche
Step one on this spinach quiche recipe is making the pie crust. You’ll find step-by-step photographs and directions for making it in my pie crust recipe weblog publish. Earlier than you get cooking, listed below are a couple of key ideas:
- Maintain all of the substances chilly. For the flakiest crust, you need the butter to soften whereas it’s within the oven, not earlier than. Make the pie dough with ice water and butter that’s chilly from the fridge.
- It has to relax for a minimum of 2 hours. Be sure to account for this time if you’re planning to make this quiche recipe! If you wish to get forward, you may make the dough upfront. It retains for as much as 2 days within the fridge and for as much as 3 months within the freezer.
- You’ll have to blind bake it. Nobody likes a quiche with a soggy backside! Blind baking the crust helps it arrange earlier than you add the filling. Discover detailed blind baking directions within the recipe card under.
After you blind bake the crust, begin on the filling. Steam the spinach till it’s simply wilted. Then, switch it to a kitchen towel and wring out the surplus water.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk, beating till no streaks of egg white stay.
Add the steamed spinach, inexperienced onions, cheese, salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Combine to mix.
Then, assemble the quiche. Pour the egg combination into the par-baked pie crust (it’s okay if it’s nonetheless heat). If essential, clean the filling into an excellent layer.
Lastly, bake in a 350°F oven till the eggs are simply set, 40 to 50 minutes. Enable to chill for a minimum of 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Take pleasure in!
Ideas for Success
- Par-bake the crust. It’s price repeating: if you’re making quiche, at all times blind bake the crust earlier than you add the filling. With out blind baking, the crust will likely be gummy and underdone on the underside. With it, the crust comes out gloriously flaky and crisp. Notice that you just’ll blind bake the crust at a better oven temperature than you’ll use for the precise quiche. The excessive warmth is essential for getting scrumptious layers within the pastry.
- Squeeze the spinach. A traditional quiche pitfall is utilizing greens that launch an excessive amount of moisture into the filling, thereby stopping it from organising. Keep away from this by squeezing the surplus water out of the spinach after you steam it. In case you’re utilizing thawed frozen spinach, skip the steaming step, however nonetheless press out as a lot moisture as you’ll be able to.
- Prepare dinner till it’s simply set. Whenever you’re checking for doneness, do not forget that the quiche will proceed cooking for a couple of minutes after it comes out of the oven. You need it to be tender and custardy, not overdone and dry, so purpose to bake the eggs till they’re simply set. In my oven, this takes 45 minutes.
- Make it a meal. Serve slices of spinach quiche for brunch alongside a inexperienced salad or fruit salad. Spherical out the menu with carrot muffins, strawberry muffins, or slices of lemon yogurt cake.
- The leftovers are nice. Leftover quiche retains effectively for as much as 3 days in an hermetic container within the fridge. It’s implausible heat or at room temperature. Take pleasure in it for a fast breakfast, lunch, and even dinner!
Extra Favourite Brunch Recipes
In case you love this spinach quiche recipe, strive one in all these scrumptious brunch recipes subsequent:
This straightforward quiche recipe is a scrumptious breakfast or brunch! The fragile egg custard filling is flecked with spinach, inexperienced onions, and tangy, salty feta cheese. Serve it with a inexperienced salad or contemporary fruit. Notice: you may want a 9- or 9.5-inch pie pan to make this recipe.
Pie Dish (I like this glass dish as a result of I can see if the crust is completed on the underside)
Roll out one disk of pie dough in response to the directions on this recipe, till you’ve gotten a big circle about ⅛-inch thick. Gently roll it over your rolling pin and unroll it over a 9- or 9.5-inch pie dish. Use your palms to press it firmly into the underside and up the edges. Trim any extra dough so that you’ve a ½-inch overhang on all sides of the pie plate, then roll the sting of the dough below itself to line up with the rim of the plate. Use your fingers or a fork to crimp. Loosely tent with plastic wrap and refrigerate when you preheat the oven to 425°F.
When the oven is scorching, uncover the crust and prick the underside throughout with a fork. Line with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights to achieve the highest of the crust. Bake for quarter-hour, or till the perimeters of the crust are set.
Take away from the oven and elevate the pie weights and parchment paper out of the crust. Bake the crust for an additional 5 to eight minutes, or till the underside is starting to set. Take away from the oven and put aside to chill barely.
Scale back the oven temperature to 350°F.
Place the spinach in a steamer basket and set over a pot crammed with 1 inch of water. Carry the water to a simmer, cowl, and steam for 1 to 2 minutes, or till the spinach is wilted. Switch to a kitchen towel and permit to chill barely, then wring the surplus water out of the spinach.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs and milk. Add the steamed spinach, feta, scallions, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and stir to mix. Pour into the par-baked crust. If essential, use a spatula to clean the egg combination into an excellent layer.
Bake the quiche for 40 to 50 minutes, or till the eggs are simply set. Enable to chill for 10 minutes earlier than slicing and serving.
**Frozen chopped spinach works too. No have to steam—simply enable the spinach to thaw absolutely and squeeze out the surplus water earlier than including it to the egg combination.