These scrumptious and naturally gluten free polenta chips might be oven baked, pan fried or air fried, and they’re a beautiful as a facet dish or appetiser. Serve them instead of potatoes, rice or bread, or as a part of an antipasti unfold with roasted tomato or romesco sauce for dipping. Aioli could be superb with these too!
Attempt polenta chips as a facet to pan fried fish (like this yummy sea bream recipe), roast hen, aubergine parmigiana (they go so nicely with the wealthy tomato sauce) or the rest you fancy.
As they’re made in two phases, you may also prep these forward of time. Mixing and leaving the polenta to set, then baking or frying them later when you’re able to serve them.
What Kind of Polenta Ought to I Use?
Make sure you use quick or specific polenta, which is okay milled and fast cooking, fairly than a coarser milled varieties. I exploit the Polenta Valsugana Express selection, which UK followers can discover in Waitrose
Polenta is of course gluten free, nevertheless you must at all times examine the label as I discovered some varieties have a “could comprise gluten” warning resulting from manufacturing processes.
Can I Deep Fry These Polenta Chips?
Sure you’ll be able to, merely mud them in a bit of cornflour earlier than deep frying after which fry at 180C for about 5 minutes or till golden and crisp. Then set them apart to empty on some absorbent kitchen paper earlier than serving.
Can I Air Fry or Bake Them?
Sure! Within the methodology under, I’ve given particulars about easy methods to oven bake, air fry or pan fry these polenta fries.
Polenta Chips Recipe
Okay let’s crack on with the recipe! Under you’ll discover full components and methodology particulars, together with step-by-step images to information you.
In case you get pleasure from these polenta chips, please do depart a evaluate on the recipe card under. It makes a world of distinction to me :). And you may also share images of your own home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Thanks a lot! Laura xxx
Cook dinner Time:
1 hour half-hour
These scrumptious golden polenta chips are good as a facet dish or appetiser, and might be pan fried, air fried or oven baked. Naturally gluten free.
- 200g fast/specific polenta (I exploit Polenta Valsugana Categorical Polenta)
- 450ml scorching vegetable inventory
- 350ml boiling water
- 60g unsalted butter
- 30g parmesan cheese
- To serve (non-compulsory): salt and pepper, parmesan cheese
- Earlier than you begin, line a 20x30cm dish or tray (I exploit a baking tray – guarantee yours is no less than 3cm deep) with cling movie (see picture under). Put aside.
- Add the polenta to a medium-sized non stick saucepan, together with the recent inventory. Combine to mix and stir out any lumps, then add the boiling water and preserve stirring.
- Place over a excessive warmth and convey to the boil, stirring always to keep away from lumps forming. As soon as it involves a boil flip the warmth all the way down to medium-low and stir for about 5 minutes till the polenta is thick and easy, an identical consistency to mashed potato.
- Add the butter to the polenta and stir via, preserving the pan over a medium-low warmth. With the addition of the butter, the polenta ought to start to come back away from the edges of the pan as you stir it, and can look smoother.
- Lastly grate the parmesan cheese into the polenta and stir for two minutes till the parmesan is melted and mixed. Then tip the polenta into the ready tray, utilizing a spatula to fastidiously unfold the polenta out and ease it into the corners. Then easy down the highest of the polenta so you will have a pleasant even layer. Now put aside to chill and set at room temperature, which ought to take about 1 hour (you may also depart it for longer if wanted, and even in a single day, merely place within the fridge as soon as cooled).
- As soon as set, the polenta needs to be very agency (if nonetheless comfortable, pop it within the fridge till set). Flip it out onto a chopping board, then use a pointy knife to slice it into chunky chips. Then rub the polenta chips with olive oil on all sides.
- Now time to cook dinner and I’ve received three choices for you right here:
- My favorite is Pan Frying: cook dinner them in batches in a non-stick frying pan with a beneficiant further drizzle of olive oil and a giant grating of black pepper and sprinkle of Maldon salt. Cook dinner on both sides for about 3 minutes, or till golden, then rotate to the following facet till you will have 4 beautiful crispy sides to your polenta chips.
- OR you’ll be able to Oven Bake: preheat your oven to 220C (fan) and line a big baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Prepare the polenta chips on the pan, spacing them nicely and drizzle with olive oil then bake for 30-40 minutes till crisp.
- OR you’ll be able to Air Fry: cook dinner in batches at 200C for 15-20 minutes (till golden and crisp), turning midway via.
To serve, I personally love them merely with salt, pepper and a grating of recent parmesan on high – they’re wonderful as an appetizer this fashion, with a chilly glass of wine! Or function a facet dish or with a roasted tomato or romesco dip. And even aioli for a garlicky hit. Delish!
For extra implausible gluten free sides dishes, why not strive a few of my different yummy recipes:
Pleased cooking! Laura xxx