A spicy, delicious meal that comes collectively in a single skillet in below half-hour! This vegan kimchi fried rice options crispy tofu, bok choy, and taste that may knock your socks off!
Fried rice is considered one of my go-to formulation for a fast and straightforward dinner. It is all the time simple to make, tremendous customizable, scrumptious, and comes collectively in a flash.
I’ve a zillion and one alternative ways of cooking up fried rice, from basic vegan fried rice to pineapple fried rice, however vegan kimchi fried rice is considered one of my absolute favorites. Kimchi packs an actual taste punch, so it all the time seems scrumptious!
Conventional kimchi fried rice recipes typically embrace a fried egg, which we’re clearly not going to make use of right here. As a substitute, I’ve labored in some pan-fried tofu for protein, together with some child bok choy for texture variation. You may completely go away both one out for a less complicated dish (say, in the event you’re simply serving it as a aspect), or change issues up through the use of your favourite stir-fry veggie and/or plant-based protein, like seitan or tempeh rather than the tofu.
Substances You will Want
- Napa cabbage kimchi. Ensure you’re utilizing vegan kimchi. Many manufacturers include anchovy paste or fish sauce. Mother In Law’s makes a vegan selection that is good and spicy and carried by my native grocery store. You can too use selfmade vegan kimchi.
- Gochujang. This can be a spicy Korean fermented chili paste. It should add a lot taste to the dish! Search for it within the worldwide part of your grocery store, or in an Asian market.
- Soy sauce. Gluten-free tamari or liquid aminos will even work.
- Toasted sesame oil. This also needs to be obtainable within the worldwide aisle of the shop.
- Peanut oil. You may substitute nearly any impartial high-heat oil right here. Vegetable oil, canola oil, and avocado oil will all work positive.
- Tofu. I am utilizing super-firm tofu, which is simple to work with and requires minimal prep. Additional-firm tofu will even work, however will must be pressed first. Learn to press tofu right here.
- Cooked rice. Leftover rice that is no less than a day or two outdated works finest. It’s because rice dries out whereas its being saved within the fridge, and barely dry rice crisps up higher when fried. Nearly any number of rice will work, however I am a fan of jasmine rice for this explicit recipe.
- Child bok choy. Common bok choy works in its place if wanted. Or substitute your favourite greens, preserving in thoughts that more durable greens would possibly take just a few extra minutes to prepare dinner, whereas extra tender greens will prepare dinner sooner.
- Scallions. Also referred to as inexperienced onions.
- Toasted sesame seeds.
How It is Made
The next is an in depth photograph tutorial on methods to make this dish. Scroll all the best way down if you would like to skip proper to the recipe!
- Begin by roughly chopping and measuring out your kimchi. Squeeze the kimchi to take away extra juice as you measure it. Switch the juice to a small bowl.
- Now add the gochujang, soy sauce, and sesame oil to the bowl with the kimchi juice. Stir it up. That is your sauce.
- Pan-fry your tofu subsequent. Warmth some oil in a wok or nonstick skillet, then add your tofu cubes in a fair layer.
- Prepare dinner the tofu items for a couple of minutes on all sides, till they’re golden brown and crispy. Switch them to a plate once they’re executed.
- Add some extra oil to the wok, give it a minute to warmth up, then add diced onion. Prepare dinner the onion for simply a few minutes, till it begins to melt.
- Add the garlic and prepare dinner it with the onion for about one minute, till it turns into very aromatic.
- Now add your kimchi. Maintain cooking every thing over medium-high warmth for a couple of minutes, stirring the combination incessantly, till the kimchi begins to dry up a bit.
- Crank up the warmth. We wish our wok to be extremely popular once we stir-fry our rice.
- Add your rice to the wok. Your rice needs to be chilly once you add it, straight from the fridge. Now add the infant bok choy and your sauce to the skillet.
- Begin flipping every thing with a spatula. Make certain to combine it up properly!
- Maintain cooking and flipping the combination over excessive warmth. After a couple of minutes the rice ought to begin to dry up and crisp in spots. It is executed cooking once you’ve received plenty of crispy bits. The newborn bok choy ought to have wilted by this level as properly.
- Return the tofu to the wok or skillet and flip every thing just a few extra occasions to include the tofu into the combination.
- Take the skillet off of the burner and sprinkle your vegan kimchi fried rice with some chopped scallions and sesame seeds.
Leftovers & Storage
Leftover vegan kimchi fried rice will preserve in an hermetic container within the fridge for about 3 days, or within the freezer for about 3 months.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
It may be! Most kimchi is gluten-free, however verify the label once you purchase it to verify yours is. You will additionally want to verify your gochujang is gluten-free (some manufacturers are, some usually are not), and use gluten-free tamari as a substitute of soy sauce.
Usually, sure, kimchi fried rice is fairly spicy. You can also make yours a bit milder by omitting the gochujang and utilizing kimchi that is labelled as gentle.
Fried rice is finest with rice that is a day or two outdated and has had a while to dry out within the fridge. If you haven’t any leftover rice readily available, attempt this method for replicating it with freshly cooked rice. Having stated that, you should utilize rice that you’ve got simply cooked utilizing typical strategies, simply do not anticipate it getting as crispy as fried rice that you just would possibly get from a restaurant.
Extra Vegan Korean Recipes
Like this recipe? If that’s the case, please cease again and go away me a overview and score beneath in the event you attempt it! Additionally you should definitely observe me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for extra recipes like this one!
Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
This spicy vegan kimchi fried rice is made with crispy bok choy and chunks of pan-fried tofu. An excellent flavorful meal that comes along with one skillet in below half-hour.
or to style
toasted sesame oil
tremendous agency tofu,
drained and reduce into 1 inch cubes
cooked rice (Be aware 1),
ideally no less than a day outdated, chilled within the fridge
child bok choy (Be aware 2),
damaged up into particular person leaves
Roughly chop the kimchi. As you measure the kimchi, calmly squeeze it to extract any extra juice. Switch the juice to a small bowl.
Add the gochujang, soy sauce, and sesame oil to the bowl with the kimchi juice. Stir every thing to mix. That is your sauce.
Coat a big flat-bottomed skillet or wok with 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and place it over medium warmth.
As soon as the oil is sizzling, add the tofu cubes in a single layer. Prepare dinner the tofu for about 10 minutes, flipping the items about midway by way of, till the items are golden brown and crispy.
Switch the tofu to a plate.
Add the remaining oil to the skillet or wok and lift the warmth to medium-high. Add the onion. Sauté till the onion in barely softened, about 2 minutes.
Add the garlic and prepare dinner it with the onion for about one minute.
Add the kimchi and prepare dinner it with the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes, stirring incessantly, till it begins to dry up.
Elevate the warmth to excessive and add the rice, child bok choy, and sauce. Prepare dinner the combination, flipping every thing incessantly with a spatula, till rice begins to crisp spots, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the tofu to the skillet or wok and flip the combination just a few occasions to include the tofu. Take the skillet off of the burner.
High the kimchi fried rice with scallions and sesame seeds.
Divide amongst plates or bowls and serve.
- Most forms of rice will work positive — lengthy grain, quick grain, brown or white. Jasmine rice is my private desire.
- One small bunch of roughly chopped common bok choy might be substituted if that is what’s obtainable to you.
Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 159
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3.2g16%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.