These gluten free flapjacks are a basic British tea time deal with, with added seeds and dried cranberries for texture and flavour. Good for lunchboxes (it is a nut free recipe) and an actual crowd-pleaser, they’re certain to go down a deal with.
Flapjacks are a simple bake to tailor too. Whereas I’ve saved mine nut free to make them appropriate for my daughter’s lunchbox (faculties within the UK are usually nut free zones), you may add in walnuts, pecans or cashews when you like. Swap the cranberries or raisins, or the pumkin seeds for sunflower seeds. And so forth.
So long as you retain the general portions constant, these gluten free flapjacks will prove splendidly. Or for one thing a bit extra chocolately, with additional crunch, attempt my Crunchy Chewy Cornflake Flapjacks recipe.
And for any confused US readers – who’re used to “flapjacks” being a kind of pancake – these are basically baked oat bars, certain along with butter, brown sugar and golden syrup. If you happen to can’t pay money for golden syrup, attempt gentle corn syrup instead (nonetheless I’ve not tried and examined this).
Aren’t Oats Gluten Free Naturally?
Coeliacs and other people following a gluten free weight loss program want to make use of licensed gluten free oats. Whereas oats are naturally gluten free, they’re usually processed on the identical gear as gluten-containing grains (similar to wheat and barley). The ensuing cross contamination renders then now not gluten free.
You will discover gluten free oats within the free from aisle in supermarkets, or purchase them in bulk on-line.
Some coeliacs can’t tolerate oats, because of having a further intolerance to the protein avenin, contained in oats. Therefore when you plan on making these for a coeliac pal, examine with them first to make sure oats are okay for them.
Gluten Free Flapjacks Recipe
This recipe makes 12-16 flapjacks, relying on the dimensions you need. 16 bars or 12 rectangular flapjacks which are barely bigger. Beneath you’ll discover the total recipe, with some methodology footage to assist information you thru.
If you happen to get pleasure from these gluten free brownies, please do go away a evaluation on the recipe card beneath. It makes an enormous distinction to me because it helps my recipes get observed. And you may as well share pictures of your own home creations in my Cooking Club on Facebook.
Thanks a lot! Laura xxx
Cook dinner Time:
Traditional gluten free flapjacks with added pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. A nut free recipe, making them lunchbox pleasant!
- 200g unsalted butter
- 160g golden syrup
- 80g tender gentle brown sugar
- 360g gluten free rolled oats
- 80g dried cranberries
- 80g pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of Maldon salt flakes (non-obligatory)
- Minimize the butter into small chunks and place in a medium non-stick saucepan, together with the golden syrup and light-weight brown sugar. Place over and low-medium warmth and heat the contents of the pan till the butter has melted, then for an extra 2 minutes.
- Within the meantime, add the gluten free oats, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and salt to a big bowl and blend with a wood spoon. Preheat the oven to 180C (fan).
- Pour the melted butter and sugar from the saucepan into the bowl, over the dry elements. Combine all the things collectively very well to utterly mix right into a flapjack combination.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 20x30cm baking tin with non stick baking paper (you may additionally want to grease the tin with a little bit butter, to make sure the paper stays put). Tip the flapjack combination into the ready tin and use the again of a fork to press it out and compact into a good layer.
- Place into the oven on the center shelf and bake for 20 minutes, till golden on prime. Then take away from the oven and go away to chill utterly within the tin. If you happen to attempt to slice it whereas heat it’s going to crumble.
- As soon as cooled, fastidiously raise the flapjack and baking paper out of the tin and onto a big chopping board. Minimize into 16 bars, or 12 items if you’d like barely bigger flapjacks. Then retailer in an hermetic container and luxuriate in at your leisure! They preserve properly for as much as 5 days.
I hope you’re keen on making and consuming these gluten free flapjacks! Stick round for extra tasty gluten free recipes, like these:
Completely happy cooking! Laura xxx