This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks for which I earn a small fee at no further price to you. For more information, try my Disclosure Coverage. Thanks to your help!
These Damaged Glass Cupcakes are the right Halloween bake if you would like one thing gluten free, ‘spooktacular’ and enjoyable to make.
Pink Velvet Cupcakes are topped with a cream cheese frosting, spiked with ‘shards’ of edible glass after which drizzled in edible blood.
They’re the right spooky bake for Halloween which is able to look stunning however are literally fully edible – and scrumptious.
The glass shards are comprised of melted sweets and the pretend blood is definitely white chocolate ganache – each of that are SO simple to make.
Plus these simple bloody damaged glass cupcakes are fully gluten free and coeliac-safe.
They make an important Halloween baking exercise for youths and the one ‘trick’ is that no-one will ever know they’re gluten free. The remaining is ALL deal with!
Why not additionally bake up a batch of my Gluten Free Monster Cupcakes for the right Halloween celebration unfold?
I’ve packed this weblog publish with a lot of hints and tricks to make the simple edible glass shards and pretend blood to information you alongside the best way.
Or simply hit ‘bounce to the recipe’ on the high of this publish to get straight to it!
Elements and Substitutions
There is a full printable recipe card with the components, portions and methodology beneath.
However as a substitute of checklist all of them right here, I simply wished so as to add a number of concepts for substitutions.
To make this recipe dairy free:
You might simply make these damaged glass cupcakes dairy free with a number of easy swaps.
Use the Stork Baking Block within the cake, and for the frosting use a dairy free cream cheese (I like to recommend Violife) and dairy free butter.
You may additionally want to make use of a dairy free white chocolate and cream substitute for the white chocolate ganache ‘blood’.
For the buttermilk, you can also make your personal dairy free model utilizing the directions beneath.
To make your personal buttermilk:
If you do not have buttermilk, don’t be concerned – you may simply make your personal at dwelling.
Merely add 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar to 150ml of milk (dairy or dairy free) and stir effectively.
Depart this for five minutes and it’ll thicken and bitter to create buttermilk.
You may as well use 1 tbsp lemon juice – however as we’re already including white wine vinegar to this it made sense to make use of that!
Can I make one large damaged glass cupcake?
The easy reply to that is sure!
For those who’d reasonably make one massive cake as a substitute of cupcakes, I like to recommend following the recipe for my Gluten Free Pink Velvet Cake.
It is precisely the identical as this simply with the best portions and cooking instances to make a bigger cake as a substitute.
Then use the edible blood and glass shards on this recipe to create the completed cake!
Easy methods to make pretend damaged glass
I attempted a number of variations of constructing pretend damaged glass – and there have been a lot of sophisticated choices involving sugar syrup and thermometers.
In the long run I discovered THE easiest approach which takes solely 5 minutes!
All I did was lay out a bag of (unwrapped!) Fox’s Glacier Mints on a lined baking tray, not more than 1-2 inches aside.
As soon as the desserts had been completed I popped this within the scorching oven for five minutes till the sweets had *simply* melted.
Take it out and depart to chill fully earlier than shattering the ‘glass’ with a great whack of the rolling pin!
It is a tremendous easy methodology and far easier than making an attempt it in a saucepan which left me scrubbing burnt sugar off my pans with boiling water for half-hour!
How do you make edible blood for Halloween desserts?
For this recipe I additionally tried a number of totally different strategies for edible blood which might look life like sufficient and nonetheless style good.
I did think about using raspberries pressed by means of a sieve however the concept of this with the peppermint simply did not work for me.
In the long run I made a brilliant easy white chocolate ganache and dyed it crimson utilizing meals colouring.
The ganache is fashioned of white chocolate and double cream – and I used an entire tube or this Dr Oetker Extra Strong Red meals colouring I discovered within the grocery store.
I normally use the Sugarflair Red Extra Food Colouring which is labelled gluten free.
Nonetheless I used the final of this in my cake on this event – the Dr Oetker one labored fairly effectively although I believed!
Easy methods to make damaged glass cupcakes
Though there are a number of totally different elements to those damaged glass cupcakes they’re truly very simple to make.
The cupcakes makes use of a half-quantity of my Gluten Free Pink Velvet Cake recipe which is just cut up between 12 cupcake circumstances.
As soon as cooled I topped these with a cream cheese frosting, then adorned them with the glass shards and pretend blood.
For those who’re on the lookout for a brilliant enjoyable Halloween bake or an important exercise to maintain children busy then this bake could be completely excellent.
My damaged glass cupcakes recipe
This recipe makes 12 damaged glass cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, edible glass shards and edible pretend blood.
Though the recipe seems to be like lengthy it is truly fairly easy – I simply wished to elucidate each single step totally!
And please do depart a evaluation to let others know you liked it too! It will imply the world to me.
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- 60g Stork baking margarine (or softened butter)
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 massive egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp red food colouring
- 150g plain gluten free flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (omit in case your flour comprises this already)
- 20g cocoa powder
- 150ml buttermilk (see notes if you do not have this)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the frosting:
- 85g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 350g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 165g full fats cream cheese (I like to recommend Philadelphia)
For the edible glass:
For the pretend blood:
- Preheat the oven to 180’C / Fan 160’C / Fuel Mark 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with cake circumstances and set to 1 aspect.
- Add the Stork (or butter) and caster sugar to a big mixing bowl and beat till pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and blend once more till mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine the crimson meals colouring and vanilla extract collectively – this may assist it combine evenly into the cake batter a bit extra. Pour the colouring/vanilla combine into the cake batter and beat once more with the mixer till it’s an excellent. vibrant crimson color.
- Combine the gluten free flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and cocoa powder in a separate bowl after which sift into the combination. It is necessary to make use of a sieve right here to make sure you aren’t getting any lumps!
- Pour within the buttermilk after which beat with the combination once more till you will have a clean batter with no lumps of flour.
- Add the vinegar to a small bowl, pour within the bicarbonate of soda, stir briefly to combine (it ought to fizz and bubble a little bit!) after which pour into the cake combination. Beat with the electrical mixer till mixed.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the cupcake circumstances after which place within the oven for 22-25 minutes. Don’t open the oven door till not less than 20 minutes! The desserts ought to have risen properly. Take away from the oven to chill fully – however whereas the oven continues to be scorching, make the edible glass.
To make the edible glass:
- Unwrap the Glacier Mints and unfold them out on a lined baking sheet with not more than 1-2 inches between them. Place within the scorching oven as quickly because the desserts are out for five minutes (or till fully melted). Control them – take away from the oven as quickly as they’ve melted into one layer and place on a cooling rack for cool fully and harden up.
- As soon as prepared to embellish, use the tip of a rolling pin or a pestle to smash the sheet into shards.
To make the frosting:
- Add the butter (it is crucial that is at room temperature!) to a big mixing bowl and beat with the electrical mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract to the combination and beat once more till totally mixed.
- Add the cream cheese and beat the combination for a number of minutes till it’s thick, mild and fluffy with no lumps of cream cheese. Notice – I strongly suggest utilizing Philadelphia cheese, and ABSOLUTELY a full-fat model, as cheaper manufacturers or non-fat ones could end in runny frosting!
To make the ganache:
- Notice: Do that simply earlier than adorning as for those who make it too far prematurely the ganache will stiffen and never pour so simply! When prepared, break the white chocolate right into a microwaveable bowl and warmth in brief bursts of 10-20 seconds till simply melted.
- Add the cream and meals colouring and stir effectively.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Spoon the frosting right into a piping bag – I used one with a star nozzle – and pipe swirls onto the cupcakes. You will be beneficiant with these!
- Stand the shards of ‘glass’ up within the frosting after which drizzle with the ganache ‘blood’ to complete. Spooky!
- If utilizing butter as a substitute of Stork, soften the butter barely within the microwave for 5-10 seconds earlier than beginning the cake. I discover Stork offers a nicer texture to the sponge.
- To make your personal buttermilk, combine 150ml of any milk with 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, stir and depart to face and thicken for five minutes. Easy!
- These cupcakes will preserve for as much as 5 days in an hermetic container. You may as well make the sponges forward of time and freeze them – easy defrost whenever you’re prepared to embellish the desserts.
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 408Complete Fats: 14gSaturated Fats: 8gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 5gLdl cholesterol: 57mgSodium: 166mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 1gSugar: 51gProtein: 5g
Want extra gluten free Halloween bakes?
Listed here are some simpler baking recipes you may check out as soon as you’ve got made this Gluten Free Damaged Glass Cupcakes.
If in case you have any recipe strategies, please let me know within the feedback what you’d prefer to see subsequent!
Like this Damaged Glass Cupcakes recipe?
Ensure you observe me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!