This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks for which I earn a small fee at no further price to you. For more information, take a look at my Disclosure Coverage. Thanks in your assist!
Should you’ve received a glut of courgettes within the backyard you’ll be able to’t beat this fudgy Gluten Free Chocolate Courgette Cake to make use of them up! This courgette – or zucchini – cake is gluten free and completely scrumptious.
In case your backyard us overrun with courgettes and you’ve got by no means thought of baking them right into a cake, then cease all the pieces you are doing proper now!
As a result of as soon as you have had them in savoury dishes like my Courgette and Lemon Risotto and my Courgette and Halloumi Fritters, that is the subsequent recipe you have to attempt.
Courgettes are MADE for desserts – they add a beautiful moisture to desserts with out making them soggy and you may’t even style them.
I particularly love a chocolate courgette cake because it makes it tremendous fudgy, and this cake additionally has buttermilk and melted chocolate for a wealthy flavour.
Courgette season runs from June till October within the UK so this gluten free chocolate and courgette cake is ideal for a summer season afternoon tea.
And earlier than I’m going on, should you’re becoming a member of me from the US, courgette is definitely the UK phrase for zucchini. A bit just like the distinction between coeliac and celiac.
Whichever method you say it, this straightforward loaf cake is one you may be eager to make time and again.
Gluten free courgette cake elements
Making this gluten free chocolate cake with courgette solely wants a couple of easy elements.
There is a full printable recipe card beneath, however listed here are the primary elements and concepts for any substitutions:
- Courgette – this cake makes use of round 150g, which is roughly a small courgette (or zucchini), or half a big one. Yellow or inexperienced courgettes each work properly.
- Caster Sugar – also called baker’s sugar or superfine sugar within the US. You possibly can use a light-weight brown sugar should you want however I often use caster sugar in my bakes.
- Vegetable Oil – it is essential to make use of a flavourless oil, comparable to vegetable oil or sunflower oil. Olive oil has a powerful style and will not work on this recipe. You possibly can additionally use melted butter should you want however I discover oil provides a greater texture.
- Eggs – I take advantage of giant UK eggs on this recipe. I have not examined an egg replacer so should you attempt any out please let me know within the feedback.
- Gluten free self-raising flour – if you do not have this, you should use a plain or all function flour and add 1 tsp baking powder per 100g of flour, plus 1 / 4 of a teaspoon of xanthan gum. You desire a free from flour mix, not a single flour like coconut or almond.
- Cocoa Powder – that is important for that chocolate flavour. All the time sieve cocoa powder into the cake combine to get out any large lumps or grit.
- Milk + Vinegar – that is my do-it-yourself model of buttermilk. You should utilize buttermilk when you’ve got it. If not I take advantage of normal full-fat milk and apple cider vinegar. Lemon juice or white wine vinegar works simply as rather than apple cider vinegar.
- Darkish Chocolate – Melted darkish chocolate provides a beautiful, wealthy chocolatey flavour to this courgette cake. You should utilize milk chocolate if you would like it a little bit sweeter.
How one can make chocolate courgette cake
This courgette and chocolate cake is tremendous straightforward to make – it is merely a cake of throwing all the pieces collectively and baking it.
Add the moist elements to the bowl and blend, then fold within the courgette and melted chocolate.
How one can put together the courgettes
When including the courgette/zucchini it is essential to verify they don’t seem to be too moist, in any other case your cake will probably be soggy.
Firstly, grate the courgette utilizing the bigger facet of the grater – you don’t need them to be to wonderful.
Then it is time to squeeze out any extra liquid!
You are able to do this utilizing your fingers, a handful at-a-time, or by wrapping the grated courgette in a tea towel and twisting it tight, squeezing out any liquid.
Then add the squeezed courgette to the combination and fold it in in order that it’s totally mixed with the batter.
Ideas for baking this courgette cake
When folding the dry elements in, watch out to not over-mix the cake both.
Combine it simply sufficient so there are not any pockets of flour left, and all the time do that with a picket spoon or spatula as an alternative of an electrical mixer.
Then merely pour the batter into your lined cake tin and bake till it has risen properly and a skewer within the centre comes out clear.
By no means open the over door earlier than the minimal cooking time although, in any other case your cake might sink!
Gluten free courgette cake FAQs
Earlier than we get cracking on the recipe, listed here are a couple of ceaselessly requested questions on my gluten free courgette cake.
If there’s something I’ve missed do remark beneath and I’ll do my finest to reply!
Are you able to style the courgette in courgette cake?
Should you’re not a fan of courgettes you is perhaps questioning why on earth you’d cake them in a cake.
However belief me, you’ll be able to’t even style them – they only assist add a beautiful moisture.
It’s kind of like carrot cake would not actually style of carrots – they only add a little bit one thing that makes it further particular.
So should you’re not completely satisfied, I urge you to offer this a go earlier than doubting!
Can this gluten free courgette cake be dairy free?
The recipe for my chocolate gluten free courgette cake does include dairy however can simply be tailored to be dairy free.
I take advantage of oil in my recipe as an alternative of butter, so the one factor that must be modified is the buttermilk.
To do that, use a dairy free milk of your selection rather than the milk within the recipe.
Additionally make sure you double verify the chocolate you are utilizing to verify it’s dairy free.
Can courgette cake be frozen?
Sure, gluten free courgette cake freezes very well which is nice for avoiding any meals waste should you’ve made an excessive amount of.
To freeze, slice the cake up and separate the slices between items of baking paper.
Freeze after which merely defrost a slice at room temperature everytime you fancy some.
How do you make buttermilk?
If you do not have buttermilk then don’t fret, it is very straightforward to make your individual at residence.
Merely add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar per 200ml of milk and stir.
Go away it for five minutes and it ought to thicken a little bit and curdle – making buttermilk. It truly is that easy!
You can even make dairy free buttermilk by doing the above course of with any dairy free milk of your selection.
Can I make this recipe with out courgettes?
I do know it’s kind of of an odd query in a courgette cake recipe put up, however I do know a couple of individuals will probably be questioning!
If you need a gluten free chocolate loaf cake with out the courgette – attempt the cake in my Gluten Free Mini Egg Loaf Cake.
With or with out the Mini Eggs, it is a scrumptious gluten free chocolate cake and what I’ve primarily based this recipe on when creating it.
My gluten free courgette cake with chocolate
This straightforward gluten free courgette cake makes a 2lb loaf cake with roughly 8-12 slices.
It is good for a gluten free afternoon tea and I wish to serve up a slice alongside a cuppa.
And please do depart a evaluation to let others know you liked it too! It might imply the world to me.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Whole Time 1 hour quarter-hour
- 150g grated squeezed courgette
- 175g caster sugar
- 150ml veg oil
- 3 giant eggs
- 175g gluten free self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 100ml milk
- ½ tbsp app cid vinegar
- 100g melted darkish choc
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Fuel Mark 4. Line a 2lb loaf tin with a loaf tin liner and set to 1 facet. Combine the milk and apple cider vinegar collectively in a small bowl and depart for five minutes to curdle (this creates buttermilk).
- Coarsely grate the courgette after which, one handful at a time, squeeze as a lot of the liquid from it as potential (in any other case your cake will go soggy!).
- Add the sugar, oil, milk/vinegar combination and eggs to a big mixing bowl and beat with an electrical mixer for 30 seconds till mixed.
- Add the courgette and melted chocolate and stir to combine with a picket spoon or spatula. Sift within the gluten free flour and cocoa powder and fold in. Do not overmix – simply maintain folding till there are not any pockets of dry elements left. You must have a runny, chocolately batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and bake within the centre of the oven for 60-65 minutes till a skewer within the centre comes out clear. Cool on a wire rack earlier than slicing.
- If in case you have buttermilk, you should use 100ml of this as an alternative of the milk and vinegar mixture. That is simply basically a do-it-yourself model!
- If you do not have self-raising gluten free flour, add 1 tsp baking powder per 100g of plain or all function gluten free flour, plus ¼ tsp xanthan gum, and blend properly earlier than including.
- Obtained leftovers? Freeze slices of this cake between sheets of baking paper and defrost to get pleasure from every time you will have a cake craving!
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 366Whole Fats: 20gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 16gLdl cholesterol: 71mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 6g
Want extra gluten free cake recipe inspiration?
Listed here are some extra gluten free cake recipes you’ll be able to check out as soon as you have made this Gluten Free Courgette Cake recipe.
If in case you have any recipe strategies, please let me know within the feedback what you’d wish to see subsequent!
Like this Gluten Free Chocolate Courgette Cake recipe?
Be sure you observe me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!
In regards to the creator
Sarah Howells is a UK gluten free blogger and creator. She has been residing with coeliac illness since 2002. Her debut recipe e-book, Delicious Gluten Free Meals, is out in September.