Gluten Free Cottage Pie (Dairy Free Choice, Funds Meal Concept)
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks for which I earn a small fee at no further price to you. For more information, try my Disclosure Coverage. Thanks on your help!
For those who’re in search of the last word consolation meals my gluten free cottage pie is a simple meal you are going to need to face-plant!
Cottage Pie combines beef mince and a vegetable base in a thick, tasty gravy, smothered in mashed potato and topped with cheese.
It is only a plate of pure pleasure and simple to make gluten free and coeliac-safe, with some easy swaps to make it dairy free too.
Cottage Pie is historically made with beef mince however if you’d like a gluten free Shepherd’s Pie, merely swap this for lamb mince.
Personally lamb is the one meals I can not eat (I simply can not stand the scent of it!?) so cottage pie has all the time been my consolation meals of alternative!
I wish to serve this hearty meal with a serving of inexperienced veg and additional gravy.
It is also an incredible recipe to cook dinner in bulk and freeze – be at liberty to extend the portions if you wish to make an even bigger batch!
Is cottage pie gluten free?
On the face of it, it is easy to assume that cottage pie is gluten free and it is largely simply meat and potatoes.
Nonetheless there are a number of components to be careful for that will make a conventional cottage pie or shepherd’s pie not gluten free.
Utilizing flour within the meat combination helps to thicken the gravy however normal flour does comprise gluten.
A standard recipe additionally typically accommodates inventory cubes and Worcestershire sauce. Each of those components comprise gluten except specified gluten free.
So when you’re consuming out, do not simply assume a cottage pie or shepherd’s pie is a secure choice – make this gluten free model as a substitute!
Components and Substitutions
There is a full printable recipe card beneath with the tactic and portions however listed below are the principle components and concepts for substitutions.
- Vegetable Base: I take advantage of a normal white onion on this recipe in addition to celery, garlic and carrots. This helps to bulk out the pie protecting prices down, but additionally creates an incredible base flavour for the cottage pie.
- Beef Mince: Cottage pie makes use of beef mince (or floor beef) and I all the time go for a 12-15% fats steak mince the place doable. You should utilize decrease fats beef mince however I discover a increased fats content material offers a greater flavour.
- Beef Inventory Pot: I all the time use the Knorr Wealthy Beef Inventory Pots as a result of they simply have the most effective flavour and so they’re gluten free. You’ll find different beef inventory cubes – I’ve a helpful record of strategies right here.
- Plain Gluten Free Flour: That is used to thicken the gravy within the meat a part of the cottage pie. Any plain gluten free flour mix will work or you could possibly alternatively use cornflour too, which is gluten free.
- Gluten Free Worcestershire Sauce: I take advantage of the Tesco free from one however different manufacturers may be discovered. Henderson’s Relish can be a superb gluten free different.
- Crimson Wine: I really like utilizing wine in cooking and purple wine provides a stunning depth to this cottage pie. If you wish to maintain it alcohol free merely use water as a substitute.
FOR THE mashed potato TOPPING:
- Potatoes: Any potatoes will work for this recipe. I really like choosing up the ‘wonky’ potatoes from the grocery store as they’re simply as tasty however typically cheaper. When it is all getting mashed up it would not matter what they appear to be earlier than!
- Butter and Milk: I discover utilizing butter and milk makes for the right creamy mash. For a dairy free model use any dairy free/vegan different.
- Cheese: It’s a must to have a tacky prime with cottage pie – it is non-negotiable! Prime your mash potato with dairy free cheese if wanted.
Remember there is a full recipe card beneath with all of the components, portions and printable methodology.
The way to make gluten free cottage pie
Making a cottage pie is surprisingly easy and would not take too lengthy.
Firstly you may have to cook dinner the vegetable base and beef mince till browned, then add the remainder of the filling to type a thick gravy.
As soon as cooked, this varieties the bottom of your cottage pie.
Concurrently cooking this, boil the potatoes able to mash them up with milk and butter as soon as cooked.
When every thing is cooked add the mince to an ovenproof dish and prime with a thick layer of mash.
End with grated cheese after which bake till the filling is effervescent up and the cheese is golden on prime.
See – I informed you it was easy! And 100% price it for a plate of pure consolation.
My gluten free cottage pie recipe
This hearty gluten free cottage pie makes sufficient for 4 individuals and it is nice for portioning up and freezing.
I wish to freeze it in parts for these evening once I’m brief on time and need a good, simple meal.
For those who make this recipe and adore it, please do let me know by tagging me on my Instagram or utilizing #theglutenfreeblogger. I really like seeing your creations!
And please do depart a evaluate to let others know you liked it too! It will imply the world to me.
Gluten Free Cottage Pie
This gluten free cottage pie recipe is pure consolation meals with a wealthy beef and vegetable filling and creamy, tacky mashed potato on prime. Flip it right into a gluten free shepherd’s pie by swapping the meat mince for lamb!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 45 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
- 1 giant onion (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stick (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 Knorr wealthy beef inventory pot
- 1 tbsp gluten free plain flour
- 1 tbsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 175ml purple wine (or scorching water for alcohol-free)
For the topping:
- 1 kg potatoes
- 50g butter
- 50ml milk
- 75g grated cheddar cheese
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and place in a big pan of chilly water. Convey to the boil and boil for round 15-20 minutes till the potatoes are cooked (a knife ought to simply undergo them). As soon as the pan is on, begin making the remainder of the cottage pie, and when the potatoes are achieved, drain in a colander and set to 1 aspect.
- Add the olive oil to a pan and place on a medium warmth. Add the onion, carrots and celery and fry, stirring often, for 7-8 minutes till the veg has softened. Just a little browning across the edges can be good!
- Flip the warmth as much as med-high and add the meat mince and chopped garlic. Fry (whereas stirring) for an additional 4-5 minutes till fully browned.
- Flip the warmth right down to low. Add the inventory pot, plain flour, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, thyme and wine (or scorching water). Combine nicely and simmer on a low warmth, stirring often, for round quarter-hour. The gravy ought to thicken up on this time. In the meantime preheat the oven to 180C / Fan 160C / Fuel Mark 4.
- Take away the meat from the warmth. Pour the drained potatoes again into the pan you cooked them in. Add the butter and milk and mash utilizing a potato masher till clean.
- Add the meat combination to an ovenproof dish and even out into one layer. Dollop the mash on prime and clean out. Sprinkle with the cheese and place within the oven for round 25 minutes till the filling is effervescent and the tacky potato is golden on prime.
- Any leftovers may be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days or freezer for as much as 3 months and reheated totally.
Want extra gluten free dinner recipe inspiration?
Listed below are some simpler dinner recipes you may check out as soon as you’ve got made this Gluten Free Cottage Pie.
For those who do make this recipe please let me know! I’d like to see your photographs utilizing #theglutenfreeblogger, share them in my Facebook group or tag me on Instagram.
You probably have any recipe strategies, please let me know within the feedback what you’d wish to see subsequent!
Like this Gluten Free Cottage Pie recipe?
Be sure to observe me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!