This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks for which I earn a small fee at no additional price to you. For more information, take a look at my Disclosure Coverage. Thanks to your help!
If you happen to’re after a simple gluten free dessert which is ideal for the summer season months, this Apple and Strawberry Crumble is the proper resolution. With a strawberry and apple filling and a golden gluten free crumble, that is an prompt household favorite.
I really like a gluten free crumble recipe however there all the time appears to be a typical false impression that it must be reserved for the winter months.
Certain, there’s nothing like a comforting apple crumble and custard when it is moist and depressing outdoors.
However how a couple of gluten free strawberry and apple crisp, topped with ice-cream, for a scrumptious summer season dessert as an alternative?
With a stunning crisp topping, full with gluten free oats and toffee-like pecan nuts, and the tart apple and strawberry filling, it is tremendous tasty.
Plus this apple strawberry crumble could be very easy to make. Gluten free flour lend itself completely to a crumble topping because of its crumbly nature!
Apple strawberry crumble substances
You solely want a number of easy substances to make a gluten free crumble – here is what you want for this strawberry crumble with apple.
For the gluten free oat crumble topping you will want:
- Plain Gluten Free Flour – A plain or all function flour mix equivalent to FREEE, Juvela white combine, Asda or Schär’s baking combine ought to all work completely. You need a mix somewhat than a single flour like coconut or almond.
- Butter – Use chilly, unsalted butter for this gluten free crumble. You need to make sure that it is chilly and never heat or it will not rub into the dry combination a lot.
- Caster Sugar – This provides the crumble its sweetness. You should use a lightweight brown sugar in the event you want.
- Gluten Free Oats – If you happen to can not tolerate (or do not like) oats be at liberty to omit them from this recipe. I simply love the additional texture they offer the crumble topping.
- Pecan Nuts – Once more, these add a stunning crunch and a toffee-like flavour however you possibly can omit them in the event you like. Any chopped nuts work effectively. I notably like pistachio or almond with the strawberries in the event you do not need to use pecans.
For the strawberry and apple filling you will want:
- Contemporary Strawberries – I really like making this throughout the summer season months when strawberries are in season (Might-September within the UK). However you might use frozen strawberries out of season, simply defrost them first. Raspberries work effectively in the event you do not like strawberries.
- Bramley Apples – aka cooking apples – are my favorite form of use in a crumble as they maintain their texture effectively and are not too candy. You may use a sweeter apple in the event you want however they might go just a little mushy.
- Lemon Juice – This helps to protect the apples from going brown. It additionally helps to thicken the ‘sauce’ within the crumble.
- Cornflour – or corn starch within the US. This helps to cease the crumble filling getting too runny. You possibly can omit it in the event you like however I feel it makes the filling extra saucy.
- Caster Sugar – You possibly can omit this from the filling if you don’t need it too candy. A tablespoon takes the sting off the tart apples with out making it too candy. You may use a lightweight golden brown sugar and even honey in the event you want.
Easy methods to make a strawberry apple crumble
Making this crumble could be very easy and I am going to speak you thru the steps within the printable recipe card under.
Nonetheless listed here are a number of pointers for making an incredible gluten free crumble.
Make sure that the butter within the crumble topping is all the time chilly, and solely use your fingertips to rub it collectively.
Crumble is made my rubbing the butter into the flour and sugar – after which I add the gluten free oats in for additional texture.
The fruit filling is absolutely so simple as making ready the fruit and chucking all of it collectively within the cooking dish.
Prime with the oat crumble topping and chopped nuts after which bake. So easy.
Strawberry and apple crumble FAQs
To assist together with your baking, listed here are a number of ceaselessly requested questions on my strawberry and apple crumble…
Is that this crumble topping dairy free / vegan?
I take advantage of butter in my gluten free crumble so the recipe because it stands shouldn’t be dairy free.
Nonetheless, in the event you change this for a tougher, vegan butter substitute it could make the recipe dairy free and vegan.
Are oats gluten free?
Oats of their pure type are gluten free, nonetheless the chance of them being cross-contaminated by different grains could be very excessive.
That’s the reason in case you have coeliac illness you need to solely ever purchase oats labelled particularly as gluten free.
Some individuals with coeliac illness additionally react to avenin which is a protein (much like gluten) present in oats.
If you happen to assume you might have points with consuming gluten free oats and have coeliac illness I might all the time advocate speaking to your GP or dietitian for recommendation.
Can this be an oat-free gluten free crumble topping?
Sure, in fact it could actually! If you happen to do not like oats or do not need to use them, merely take away them from the crumble.
This recipe makes a beneficiant portion of crumble so you’ll have loads to create a stunning thick topping.
And the crumble remains to be very scrumptious with out the oats.
Do I must pre-cook the fruit filling for crumble?
I by no means pre-cook my crumble fillings as they prepare dinner sufficient for my style within the oven.
Personally I like my fruit to have just a little ‘chunk’ so I discover the oven time loads.
If you happen to want your fruit crumble filling softer you might stew the filling substances on a low warmth for 5-10 minutes earlier than including the crumble and baking.
My apple and strawberry crumble recipe
This recipe makes a crumble for 4-6 individuals, relying on how hungry you’re!
Serve it up with both vanilla ice-cream or custard for the proper, comforting dessert.
Any leftovers will also be portioned up and frozen for a later crumble craving.
And please do go away a evaluate to let others know you liked it too! It will imply the world to me.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 50 minutes
Complete Time 1 hour
For the crumble topping:
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g unsalted butter
- 230g gluten free plain flour
- 50g gluten free oats
- 35g pecan nuts (chopped)
For the filling:
- 250g strawberries
- 650g Bramley apples
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan / Gasoline Mark 4. To make the crumble, add the gluten free plain flour and caster sugar to a big mixing bowl and stir to combine. Reduce the chilly butter into small cubes and add to the combination.
- Utilizing your fingertips, run the flour combine into the butter, till you might have a breadcrumb-like consistency. Don’t be concerned in case you have a number of smaller lumps. Add the oats and stir to combine them by way of evenly.
- To make the filling, peel and core the apples and chop into 2cm chunks. Hull the strawberries and minimize into halves (or quarters if they’re giant strawberries) – you need them comparable sizes to the apples.
- Take a big dish (I used a 23cm spherical dish) and add the fruit to this. Combine collectively effectively. Add the caster sugar, cornflour and lemon juice and blend effectively.
- Pour the crumble topping evenly over the fruit, protecting it utterly. Sprinkle over the chopped pecans after which place within the sizzling oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes till the topping is golden and the fruit beneath is effervescent. Serve sizzling with ice-cream or custard.
Quantity Per Serving: Energy: 503Complete Fats: 21gSaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 9gLdl cholesterol: 41mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 6gSugar: 35gProtein: 6g
Want extra gluten free crumble recipe inspiration?
Listed below are some extra gluten free crumble-inspired recipes you possibly can check out as soon as you have made this Gluten Free Strawberry Apple Crumble recipe.
When you’ve got any recipe solutions, please let me know within the feedback what you’d wish to see subsequent!
Like this Strawberry Apple Crumble recipe?
Ensure you observe me on Pinterest and pin this recipe card below for later!
In regards to the creator
Sarah Howells is a UK gluten free blogger and creator. She has been dwelling with coeliac illness since 2002. Her debut recipe e book, Delicious Gluten Free Meals, is out in September.