These BBQ tofu sandwiches are made with slabs of crispy seasoned tofu slathered in candy and tangy barbecue sauce. They’re simple to make, loaded with taste, and ideal for a lazy summer season dinner!
I at all times discover myself craving barbecue this time of yr. And no, I do not imply meat barbecue. I’ve by no means actually missed that!
I am speaking about just about something vegan that will get slathered in candy, smoky, tangy barbecue sauce. It is not only for meat! I have been recognized to douse all the pieces from veggie burgers to tempeh “ribs” to polenta bowls in my home made vegan barbecue sauce.
And naturally, I really like a superb barbecue sandwich.
For this vegan barbecue sandwich, I used tofu as our barbecue sauce vessel…however not simply any tofu! I tailored my barbecue tofu bites recipe, as an alternative utilizing slabs of tofu that get coated in a seasoned cornstarch crust and baked to crispy perfection.
The end result was a barbecue tofu sandwich that is out of this world scrumptious!
Components You will Want
- Tofu. I like super-firm tofu for this recipe. It is easy to work with and has a terrific texture. Further-firm tofu, which is a tad softer, can be utilized if wanted — you may must press it earlier than cooking although.
- Vegetable oil. Any excessive warmth oil will do right here. You should utilize olive oil, avocado oil, corn oil or peanut oil, amongst many others!
- Soy sauce. Gluten-free tamari or liquid aminos may be substituted if wanted.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Liquid smoke. That is non-compulsory, however nice to make use of when you love smoky taste. You’ll find it close to the barbecue sauce at most supermarkets.
- Chili powder.
- Floor cumin.
- Barbecue sauce. I really like this recipe with my home made vegan barbecue sauce, however store-bought sauce is okay too. Simply examine the components to make sure that it is vegan.
- Burger buns. Or use kaiser rolls, sub rolls, sliced bread…principally no matter you want greatest for sandwiches!
- Toppings. The sky is the restrict right here. As you may see from the pictures, I topped my sandwiches with some vegan coleslaw and dill pickle slices. You might additionally use lettuce, tomato, onion, sprouts, avocado…no matter you want!
How They’re Made
The next is an in depth photograph tutorial on how one can make this dish. Scroll all the best way down if you would like to skip proper to the recipe!
Begin by slicing your block of tofu into slabs. I prefer to make six slabs, so I can use two on every sandwich, however you could possibly additionally do eight smaller slabs, or three or 4 bigger slabs, placing only one slab on every sandwich.
Place your tofu slabs in a big bowl, together with the cornstarch, oil, soy sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke, chili powder, and cumin. Combine all the pieces up utilizing your fingers. You wish to get the slabs evenly coated with a mixture of the opposite components.
Prepare your tofu slabs on a baking sheet and pop it within the oven. Bake them for about quarter-hour per facet, till they’ve darkened and fashioned a crispy coating.
Brush each side of the tofu slices with some barbecue sauce, then return them to the oven for a couple of minutes. The sauce ought to thicken a bit and get bubbly.
Stuff your barbecue tofu into buns and pile on the toppings. Dig in!
Leftovers & Storage
These sandwiches are greatest served instantly, whereas the tofu is crispy. In case you do have leftovers although, the barbecue tofu slabs will preserve in an hermetic container within the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
What to Serve with BBQ Tofu Sandwiches
Like this recipe? In that case, please cease again and go away me a evaluation and ranking under when you attempt it! Additionally you should definitely observe me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter for extra recipes like this one!
Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches
These BBQ tofu sandwiches are made with slabs of crispy seasoned tofu slathered in candy and tangy barbecue sauce.
(15 ounce) package deal
apple cider vinegar
vegan barbecue sauce
burger buns or sandwich rolls
Toppings of alternative
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the tofu block into 6 slabs (Observe 2).
Place the tofu slabs into a big mixing bowl and add the cornstarch, oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke (if utilizing), chili powder, and cumin.
Use your fingers to combine the components, getting every tofu slab comparatively evenly coated.
Place the tofu slabs on the baking sheet.
Bake the tofu for about half-hour, till crispy and browned, turning the items midway by way of.
Take away the baking sheet from the oven. Brush each side of every tofu piece with barbecue sauce, then return the baking sheet to the oven.
Bake the tofu for five minutes extra, till the sauce begins to bubble.
Stuff the tofu items into buns, topping them with further barbecue sauce and toppings of alternative.
- Strive vegan coleslaw, lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, pickle slices, or avocado.
- Six slabs provides you with three sandwiches, with two slabs per sandwich. Be happy to regulate the variety of slabs to make as few as two or as many as 4 sandwiches, putting one or two slabs on every sandwich.
Barbecue Tofu Sandwiches
Quantity Per Serving (1 sandwich)
Energy from Fats 166
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3.8g19%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.